Chuck

I have an 8.4 oz Challenge crosscut, 135%, high clew, roller furling
headsail with foam luff made by Doyle.

Crosscut Dacron because it was less expensive than other materials or other
cuts.  It also has a longer useful life I expect.

8.4 oz because I sometimes use it as a 110% or lower.

High clew so it does not snag lifelines or require skirt.

Unlike you, I don't race my boat much anymore but I sail alone or short
handed a lot.the high clew 135 is easy under those conditions.

I did add some goodies like adjustable leech line, draft stripes, sail
numbers, triple ticklers which raised the price a bit.

That sort of summarizes my reason for choice but I must add this is not a
racing sail, just a good all round sail that performs well and is sensitive
to trim adjustments.it has held shape quite well for 6 seasons so far but
this year needs a new UV cover.

I don't think that I could have done much better than that sail for anywhere
close to what I paid for it: $2500  Canadian and that included free
inspection including minor repair by the sail maker each year for the first
3 years as well as the peace of mind in knowing my local sail maker
personally; never under estimate the value of that when buying.

But I believe this thread began with someone buying 3DL sails, different
sails altogether and I expect for the added expense those buyers expect
lower corrected times and maybe a few more trophies but it takes more than
sails to win.why not have them if you got the cash, they look nice on the
boat, your crew may believe that you are serious about racing and I expect
they should perform better than the type of sail that I use regularly.

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS

  _____