I'm with you Colin. Amidships with timing or for chickens, at the stern where the relative water level remains remarkably constant on a well designed boat.

It looks to me like the biggest problem here was poor boatmanship. One of the things a d'flatable does really well is to act like a tug boat. Push the bow into the topsides amidships and give the lad a stable platform for two seconds so he can leap & glory, especially if timed with contact at the trough.. Don't bring the rubber duck alongside in that crap.

At least the water is warm.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35-1