Wow.  I'm glad that comedy didn't end in tragedy.

1) What were they doing off the boat in the first place? Was there no warning of weather coming? I've had folks laugh at me when I see lightning 20 miles off shore and insist that I gobble my tacos and get back to the boat.

2) Driving a dinghy through that kind of surf while sitting on the tubes? There's this thing called 'Center of Gravity.' I tend to keep my butt in the bottom of the dinghy in anything other than calm conditions. One lurch and you can go splash, and it really doesn't matter if you have a good excuse for falling overboard. The bottom line is to avoid falling overboard.

3) Boarding ladders. No one ever leaves my boat, even in dead calm conditions, without the boarding ladder down. It extends far enough to have two rungs below water, and is located amidships. I took the original stern ladder, had two more rungs welded on, and it now clamps onto the boat with bolts. The clamps are strong enough to withstand just about anything -- in fact I once took off at 3 a.m. and forgot that the ladder was down, and spend an entire day bashing into 6 foot square waves with the ladder down on the starboard side. (Ooops.)

4) Regarding rope ladders. I made one just for getting back into the dinghy, and decided it was worthless. I now keep it snapped to the stern, next to the Monitor, so that it can be pulled down if needed. I figure if I *do* end up overboard and that's my only option for getting back on the boat that adrenaline will give me the strength to deal with it.

Wal

Tom B wrote:
Not C&C related, but worth sharing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M6gMDlTTN6A