So after several years of refinishing handrails annually (or maybe every
other year when I was sloppy), I finally added sunbrella handrail covers -
and based on one year's experience, my handrails are now immortal and their
finish is close to immortal. The covers were a minor addition to a new
dodger order, though there are online sources too.  I can't believe I
didn't do this sooner.

Handrail covers are rare around here (I'm now the only one with them in my
50 boat marina), but every time I take them off to go sailing, and look at
a very nice shiny teak finish, looking just a perfect as the last time they
were uncovered, I don't understand why they are rare. For all the cost and
effort or replacing handrails eroded or sanded to oblivion, not to mention
the effort and cumulative cost of refinishing them, I would strongly
recommend getting covers.

and, BTW, this year I'm no longer sure why we live here.....

Nate
"Sarah Jean"
1980 30-1
Siskiwit Bay Marina