Rich Knowles
Indigo. LF38
Halifax

On 2013-05-23, at 22:00, "Don Jonsson" <dbjons...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi

I had previously sent out a  message about an overheating diesel.  The culprit,
so I thought, was the knuckle going into the mixing elbow, because generally
when I cleaned it, it worked again.  For a while.

So I finally took of the mixing elbow and gave everything a proper cleaning.  I
checked the water pump.  I checked all hoses by blowing through them and the
engine.

I put it all back together and it all worked and water pumped like it is
supposed to, except the water pump leaked a bit – needed a new gasket, but I
knew that and just wanted to see if it would work.  Got a new gasket and put it
on.  Started up and no water.

I took out the thermostat and checked to see it worked – slightly corroded but
it worked, i.e. opened in hot water.  Put everything back together and started
it up and a bit of water but too much steam.  Took the thermostat out and put
it in more carefully.  Tried again, water running, no steam everything is
perfect.  Ran it for a while just to be sure.

Turned it off.  Waited a while (an hour) and started it up again.  No water.

So the problem is not the mixing elbow (and likely never was as it wasn’t that
bad).  Not the pump as it looks fine.  Not the thermostat – I don’t think
although I will replace it.

The problem is sometimes the engine pumps water and sometimes not.   And I’m
stumped.

This is a raw water cooled engine which makes things different.  Has anyone had
a similar problem and ideas for a solution.

Also, it seems hard to get part numbers for a 3GMD and the local mechanic had
to go find an old book.  Is there any place online to find part numbers for
that engine?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Don