Hi,

My raw water cooled 2QM15 had a problem of intermitting over heating.  I check
and replaced many things: hoses, belts, impeller, ...   I even pickled the
engine with vinegar and turned over water pump impeller backing plate thinking
the wear was limiting flow.   I even thought I licked the problem.  After a big
trip (2 two-days gulf crossings), I left the boat for a few weeks and when I
returned, the engine was seized.  It turned out the  head gasket was slightly
blown which let raw water in the cylinder and over two weeks corroded/seized a
piston.

I discovered the real reason for the heating problem(and likely the reason for
blowing a head gasket) when I fixed the engine:  severe salt scale build up!

The picture below is my block with the cylinder selves removed showing what was
likely 33 yrs of scale build up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreuge/7782378010/in/set-72157631067396554

I happily rebuilt the engine(another story) but I strongly suggest that anyone
with a raw water system regularly flush the engine with a good agent like
barnacle buster (and don't cheap your self by using vinegar).   The $30-$50 for
barnacle buster is a lot less than the $800 I spent rebuilding my yanmar.

-
Paul E.
1979 C&C 29 Mk1
S/V Johanna Rose