Dwight;

In the US all boats over 16 ft need to have a USCG Certified Type IV
throwable flotation device. It can be a life ring, a horseshoe buoy, a
floating cushion with handles - there are a lot of devices which carry the
USCG certification. The point is to have something that can be thrown to a
MOB to help keep them afloat.

I looked up the Transport Canada requirements, and they are quite different.
A "Lifebuoy" must be a ring at least 20" diameter with rope handles. A SOLAS
lifebuoy is at least 30" diameter. No other device is allowed to be
considered a lifebuoy.

Below 6 meters (19 ft for us southerners) you need a floating throw line at
least 50 ft long. From 6 to 9 M you need a throw line or a lifebuoy with an
attached throw line. From 9 to 12 m you need a throw line and a lifebuoy
with throw line, and above 12 M you need two lifebuoys - one with and one
without a throw line.

It strikes me there is a different intent of the US and Canadian
requirements. In the US the intent is to provide flotation assistance for
the MOB. In Canada, the required devices seem intended to get someone back
aboard the boat.

When reading your post below, and before I looked up the TC requirements, I
was going to ask why throw the life ring and line over? Isn't the line going
to become a problem for maneuvering and potentially get fouled in the prop
or rudder when you approach the MOB? And once the MOB has the ring and the
line, how is he supposed to get the line back to you so you can haul him
aboard the boat ? (Which may be why TC requires Both a ring and a second
device on boats over 29 feet.)

I have half a dozen or so Type IV cushions, and if they are out in the
cockpit (never when racing) they go over for flotation. But I would still
chose to keep the device with the recovery line attached (in my case the
Life Sling) on the boat until I can get back to the MOB to pick him up.

Rick