To stop furling lines binding up in the drum, de core the furling line that wraps around the drum. Leave the core in at the end of the line where you handle it. This will reduce the bulk on the drum by half.

sam :-) 403-617-6280
From: Martin DeYoung
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 11:20 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Reply To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Ultrafurl - sticking

> We've also had experience where there was not enough backstay tension
> causing the foil to sag giving the impression  of 'stop, turn, stop' as you
> fight the curve.

With Calypso’s Harken system both halyard and backstay tension have to be “tight” to avoid excessive resistance or halyard wrap.  Once in a while the furling line will bind up in the drum, especially when handling the #1 headsails (150%).

Martin

Calypso

1971 C&C 43

Seattle

Coincidence.  I'm dropping  an old Hood Seafoil 2536 today. Close cousin of an Ultrafurl. Replacing it with a Harken Mk IV

Dennis C

Sent from my iPhone