Bev and Bob,

We just did this on our 35/3 last weekend.  We originally got a replacement
Jabsco pump to put on the existing bowl - it was supposed to fit "all years"
models.

It didn't. Four bolt attachment to a three bolt connection.  Blah!

So we simply got an entire new Jabsco from West.

Two of the existing mounting bolts (I believe they were "hanger bolts") broke
off when taking off the old head.  The new base did not fit over the previous
ones.

So then we did what you did and tried to find access from underneath for
threaded bolts.  Not available.  Talked to a guy I know with a 35/1.  It turned
out to be simple deal:  There is solid wood infer the fiberglass there. The
answer is to use SS lag screws and washers.  You need four.  We used 5/16" x
2".  West Marine.  Just screw them through the glass into the wood.

I cut the two old hangar bolts off with a hack saw (try not to saw the
surrounding glass - this is the hardest part - a grinder would have been
better).  Set the new base on and marked two holes in front.  Take it off and
drill a smaller hole as you would for a wood screw.  The fiberglass layer must
be bored out to the diameter of the screw (5/16") or it will start cracking. So
do that just at the top of the holes.

Set the head in place and ratchet down the front two until it can't wiggle and
mark the rear ones.  Remove, repeat the drilling and don't forget the washers
and a thin bead if silicone sealant under the base.

Worked like a charm for us newbies.

Ron & Lisa