The charge is the same in the USA (unless you are a member of US Sailing,
then the cost is only $100.00).

"RE: Sail Numbers
This is an application for a US Sailing sail number. It is a five digit
number that we issue in sequence. There is a charge of $100 to members of
US Sailing and $125 to non-members. If you would like to proceed, and fax
back the following information, or mail it back with a check, we would than
forward a confirmation letter with the sail number assignment. If an email
address is provided the sail number assignment will be sent there.:

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Sail_Numbers.htm

Sail Canada (and US Sailing I assume) are more non-profit and volunteer
than for-profit.  They need to raise money somehow to operate and so
support and lobby for the sailing community.

Ken H.