From: Steven Winks <swi...@cogeco.ca>
Date: 08/12/2013  9:15 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List Bilge pump siphon

Hi. I have a 34+ and had an unusual thing happen this morning while at
anchor. I woke to the sound of my electric bilge pump cycling on and off.
The bilge was full of water. I turned the pump on to drain the bilge and it
filled up again once the switch was selected?to off. I had the same result
with the manual pump. When I removed the manual bilge pump hose from the
bilge and then turned on the electric pump again, the bilge stayed dry, so
the water must have syphoned in via the manual pump discharge. The discharge
on this boat lies only a few inches above the waterline, but with any weight
aft, it is below the water. Has anyone else experienced this? I understand
check valves are not recommended. Thanks for any advice.