From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Kim Brown
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:34 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List Bilge pump siphon

Steven,
Had a similar problem with my Irwin 31 - there the bilge pump discharge was
tee'd into the sink drain.  All is good unless you had a stopper in the sink
then there is no break in the line and a back siphon could set up. Then the
pump (hopefully) kicks in and pumps it out and then it back siphons again ad
infinitum. Took some panic time to figure this out when I came back to the boat
after a night on Duval St. Admittedly my thinking was impaired....
With the stopper out the siphon couldn't set up. Solution was to stop doing
dishes.....  While high loops are good. you need something to break the siphon
- discharge above the waterline does it; check valve will do it but I would
look at a siphon break like they use for heads to be inserted at the top of a
high loop- less worry about impeding any discharge. And good practice is to
'cross' hoses. If it runs along port, loop up in the stern and discharge it to
starboard and vice versa that way if you actually are doing something like
sailing one side or the other will be high.

Kim Brown
Trust ME!!! 35-3