I had a 2 blade Martec folder on my 38, with a Universal M35B (36hp) and
HBW100 transmission (1.76 reduction). The recommended prop from Martec based
on this engine/transmission and a 15,000 pound boat was a 16x10 ½. I had
found a 17x10 for cheap and had it reconditioned for use on the boat, and
experienced the same condition you indicate. Max RPM of the engine is 3000,
but I could only get 25-2600 from the engine with the 17” prop.

I have since been told that 1” of diameter increases thrust and torque
approximately twice as much as 1” of pitch. So the 17x10 is about the same
load on the engine as a 16x12, and was considered too much prop for the
power available.

I have gone back to a 16x10 ½ 2 blade fixed prop for cruising. Mostly
because of the improved ability to back the boat. But I also have a 2 blade
Gori 16 ½x11 (which is what Gori recommended for the boat) which I may
install eventually. Apparently the Gori has less blade area than the Martec,
which accounts for the difference in recommended prop.

Rick Brass

Imzadi -1976 C&C 38 mk1

Washington, NC