I sailed on a 46 Bavaria a couple of years ago. It had twin helms, with
wheels somewhere between 48 and 60 inch diameter - and still had room for
the crew to walk between then to get to the swim platform and the transom
shower. Visibility is improved, as well as traffic flow in the cockpit.

As far as maintenance, I suppose you should re-tension and lube the cables
every year, so there is twice the maintenance. But the Edson steering on my
38 lasted for about 34 years before I replaced any cables or idlers, so I
don't suppose the extra maintenance is intolerable.

As far as steering effort goes, the big wheels on the Bavaria and regular
lubrication kept the helm pretty light. I've sailed a friends Pearson 30
with an 18 or 24 inch wheel that required more effort than the much bigger
Bavaria.

The Bavaria also had an instrument pod mounted forward of the wheels and on
the centerline. Engine controls, VHF, windlass control, etc were on the back
of the pod, and the top of the pod was designed to swing from side to side
so the instruments like radar, sounder, speed log, and wind were facing
toward the wheel you were using. You manually moved instrument pod when you
switched the wheels.

It was a well done arrangement and contributed to a huge cockpit. I suppose
if I had the money to buy a big Oyster, a Swan 65,  or even a 46 Bavaria,
I'd opt for the twin wheels. But I don't see myself buying anything much
larger than my 38 because I enjoy sailing single- handed or with short crew.
So I don't need the extra hassles of crew, cost, and upkeep that a big
Oyster would mean. OTOH, IMHO the Swan 65 may just be the prettiest girl in
the ocean, not just the harbor, and that might make the hassle more
palatable.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC