From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of David
Knecht
Sent: September-29-13 18:52
To: CnC CnC discussion list
Subject: Stus-List Raymarine ST4000 autopilot problem

I had a problem with my autopilot today I could use some feedback on.  For
the last few weeks, the lever that engages/disengages the autopilot would
periodically release so that the autopilot ceased being able to turn the
wheel.  Once engaged, it seemed to work fine, but the initial engagement
seemed to not always stay locked in.  Today, as luck would have it, I was
maneuvering in the 10 minutes before that start gun, engaged the pilot to
make and adjustment forward, and could not get it to disengage.  The wheel
was effectively locked so I could steer with the autopilot, but not by hand.
After futzing with it for a few minutes, (trying to not hit someone trying
to start) I gave up, lowered the sails, threw out the anchor and proceeded
to remove the unit from the wheel.  We only started a few minutes late, but
it was annoying to say the least.  I have brought the unit home and I can
see no way to get inside it to see if I can figure out what is going on with
the connect/disconnect lever.  No disassembly instructions in the manual.
Is this a "send it back to the factory", "throw it in the trash" or other
solution?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht

Aries

1990 C&C 34+