Hi Chuck- Thanks for the info.  I got it apart after reading several posts form
listers.  I was presuming there were hidden screws somewhere and was not
expecting a friction fit.  Two of the supports were broken and I suspect that I
inserted the paint scraper I used in too far and levered against them-
something no one noted in their instructions for disassembly. It will be simple
to bolt them back before reassembly, so no problem there.  I still cannot see
anything that would cause it not to release so we shall see when reassembled.
I have ordered a new belt on ebay, but am thinking hard about replacing the
whole wheel unit with a ST4000+ MKII or the whole pilot (Evo 100).  If the new
belt works, I will use it for the season and think about the other options for
the spring.  Dave

On Oct 2, 2013, at 8:33 PM, Chuck S <cscheaf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
> I really misread your original problem.  I thought the autopilot wouldn't
> engage, but your problem was it wouldn't release.  That's a neat piece of
> seamanship to drop sails and anchor before the race, remove the wheel drive
> and restart the race.
>
> It must be an older model autohelm if it won't come apart like mine.
> I replaced the belt on mine and it was fairly simple.
>
> You can try to google "how to take apart make and model".
>
> (If you decide to buy a new one, the below deck units are supposed to be a
> lot better and well worth the extra bucks and extra work required to install.)
>
> Chuck
> Resolute
> 1990 C&C 34R
> Atlantic City, NJ

David Knecht, Ph.D.
Professor and Head of Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269