I also prefer halyards at the mast.  Both for hoisting but also - and
more significantly - for reefing.  I can reef Bojangles (a 50 footer)
by myself in about a minute.  Shaking out a reef is about the same.

And while spaghetti in the cockpit is cool when racing, dropping lines
down the companionway gets old fast when you're cruising.

I singlehand Bojangles (officially) as often as I can and unofficially
(ie: other people on board, but not actively crewing) just about all
the time I go sailing.  The boat has the traveler and main sheet right
behind the helm seat and the primary winches (self tailers of course)
also at the helm seat.  The mizzen sheet winch is also within reach of
the helm. So, once you're clear of the harbour, it's really a dead
easy boat to single hand.  (Note: lazy jacks and good furling gear
help immensely)

Depending on the harbour and its layout, docking the boat single
handed can range from dead easy to darn right impossible.
Fortunately, we haven't used a dock regularly since 2009 and we're
either picking up a ball or - most often - dropping a hook, both of
which are fairly easy to do singlehanded.

People think bigger boats are tougher to sail shorthanded, but if
they're laid out right, it can be easy.  Also, if the boat weighs
close to 40,000 pounds, as mine does, the deck provides a pretty
stable platform when you need to go up there, and if you stop the boat
to pick up a mooring or drop a hook, it doesn't get immediately blown
all over the place while you're running forward.

Cheers
Colin

--
Sent from my mobile device