Random thoughts:

1. Industrial fall harnesses have a tether attachment at the back because a
"fall arrest" from that direction is less likely to
cause a back injury. Your spine can bend forward further than backward, at
least that is what they taught us in the working at
heights safety courses at Ford. The assumption is that you hang there until
someone comes and rescues you. I think that for marine
applications the tether attachment in front makes more sense.

2. A friend of mine actually fell overboard while in the process of lowering a
hanked-on foresail at night. He was tethered and
managed to get back on board only because the boat was plunging into the waves
so much that he was carried back up by the waves.
Conditions were such that when he returned to the cockpit, the other crew were
unaware that he been over the side. (They had come
out past a point of land and "discovered" considerably higher wind and seas
than expected. It was off either Rondeau or Point
Pelee, I forget which, on Lake Erie.)

3. Standard harnesses don't have crotch straps. They should. A harness and or
lifejacket is not much good if you slip out of it.
It is not difficult to add one using standard webbing and hardware. I was
taught this "trick" by a guy who used to train crews for
the British Telecom around the world races.

4. The GLSS (Great Lakes Singlehanded Society) that Bill Coleman provided a
link to, has done considerable work on the subject of
tethers and jack lines. It is worth taking a look at their rules, and the video
of their outboard system in action. The question
of how you might switch from one attachment point to another is not addressed
in the video. The basic idea is that you use 2 sets
of jack lines. One set is rigged central to the boat with the idea of keeping
you on board. The other set is rigged outside of the
lifelines. The outside jack line extends back to where there is a re-boarding
ladder mounted on the side, and crew is equipped
with dual tethers so that it is possible to clip on to the desired line before
unclipping from the inboard attachment point. It is
the only system I have ever seen where you actually have a fighting chance of
getting back on board unassisted.

5. One of the GLSS suggested pieces of equipment, a folding knife that can be
opened one handed, is illegal in Canada, and
visiting sailors should be aware of that fact. Possession is a criminal offence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gQbDzXAOdY&context=C3eea170ADOEgsToPDskJJp-f-bBF0SutwvJyyAoGV

http://www.solosailor.org/pdfs/Std_GLSSRequiredEquip.pdf

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII