Petar

I decided this fall to drill a hole for a garboard drain in the bilge of my
35 MKII.  She will soon be 40 years and has survived just fine for those
years so I struggled to justify drilling that 1/8 diameter hole in the
first place but it is done now and enlarged to 3/8 inch for a drain
hole.  Regardless
of how low I drilled the hole in my boat there was no way to achieve a
completely dry bilge because of the way the floors are constructed but if
the 3/8 inch hole is large enough to drain before freezing shut there will
never be more than about ½ an inch of water in the bilge over winter.

Anyway I found out that the hull of my boat is very thick in that area,
nearly 2 inches thick and that caused me to wonder while drilling about
where the drill was actually going because I thought I was finding way too
much material thickness.  I drilled down at a slight, maybe about 20 degree
angle to horizontal, because my intent was not to install a metal plug but
to enlarge the hole to 3/8 and leave it that way over winter and then dry
the material well and fill the hole next spring with thickened epoxy and
repeat that process yearly.  I think if I plug from the outside the epoxy
will flow down to fill the hole better if the hole is angled down a bit.  I
think someone on the list has already described doing something like that
with success so I am giving it a try.  The flange for the metal garboard
drains are about 3 inches in diameter on the outside, so that means you
should have a planar surface to install them against or use a bit to make a
planar surface.  Also I will feel more comfortable with an epoxy plug than
with a screwed in metal plug once my boat is back in the water and it seems
to me that doing things that way each year, drilling and filling the same
hole is not a great deal of work.  I can fare the outside each time and I
believe the hull should be just as strong and watertight as it was before I
made the drain hole.

--
Dwight Veinot
Alianna