Okay,

I removed the rudder today.  It does not weigh much at all,

There are no bearings.  It is just a fiberglass tube that fits tightly around
the 1-7/8" shaft.  There were just 2 - 4"x1/4" nylon(?) washers between the pin
that holds the rudder in place and the aluminum flange fitting in the cockpit.

It really is just hung there.  I couldn't help but to think that a SS washer on
top of the 2 nylon(?) washers would be a good idea.  It was apparent that these
washers had been switched around a few times by the marks from the pin on both
sides of both nylon(?) washers.

So my thoughts ar maybe to just re install it and add a big 'ol fender washer
for the pin to rest on.

However, my only concern is what the stainless shaft looks like inside the
rudder...

https://korpoq.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pq2xBqhOTnVi8a3qjlKe3d3z5mZu4DLyvgdLO1n4y4kIAj-jz0KUR4EKzhrOKdm1UOBEIjnGtt3_lyaNLYnVRVciZi9tZT2-gzJtkcwoy1K8/20131111_132315.jpg

In case that link doesn't work, here is a link to a folder with a bunch of boat
pics.  The photos from today are all the way at the end.

Thanks again for any insights, observations or ideas.

Danny