Rob,

I have sailed Septima for nearly 20 years, in all kinds of wind and sea
conditions, racing and cruising. Some lessons learned.
  a.. Sail her flat, no more than 18 degrees heel.  We have inclinometers on
the back head and the helm and trimmers work to keep her in range.
  b.. Check your sails.  If they're old, they're too baggy, you're gonna heel.
We have low stretch racings sails.  Lowered our weight aloft a lot and they
don't let the draft come aft as the wind picks up.
  c.. Useful tools: hydraulic backstay adjuster, bridge deck mounted traveler
with a windward adjustable car, cockpit adjustable genoa cars, powerful
cunningham.
  d.. Tune your rig with the mast raked 10 to 12 inches.
  e.. You sail a 30-2, with its broad beam carried so far aft, differently than
the older designs.  We actually steer Septima with the main because the main
trimmer has the windward car and is sitting on the side deck in front of the
helm where they can communicate easily.
  f.. Our wheel in marked each side of TDC with a seam that indicates 4 degrees
of rudder.  Helm puts the appropriate seam TDC, trimmers trim the sails, and,
as the boat gathers speed along the course line, helm relays to main trimmer
whether helm is light or heavy.  Main is retrimmed using the traveler only.
Object: keep the foils moving thru the water at 4 degree incidence angle and
keep heel 15 to 18 degrees.
  g.. As wind speed picks up. use sail controls to keep things in balance.
More backstay pressure, halyard tension, aft movement of genoa cars as needed
for headsail; more cunningham, traveler to leeward, twist off the leach for the
main.
All these actions keep the boat balanced, fast and stable.  I have never had
the rudder stall.  Its always at 4 degrees incidence.  Can help to move crew
weight aft as wind really picks up.  It's not rocket science.

Allen Miles
S/V Septima
Hampton, VA

Oh yes, I was a rocket scientist.