Good tip on the wheel marks.  We do similar on Touche'.  I have a 36 inch wheel
that is used only for racing.  Normally, I use a 32.  We use tape, green for
TDC, yellow for ~2 degrees, red for ~4.  When the main trimmer sees the red
tape stripe at the top he eases the traveler.

A "visual" boat is easier.  We have a Navtec hydraulic backstay.  I taped a
small batten to the cylinder so it extends upward several inches to the head of
the ram.  On it are green, yellow, red and black tape marks.  We adjust the
backstay to the desired headstay sag then remember the color where the head of
the ram is.  Easier than looking at the pressure gauge.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

>________________________________

all kinds of wind and sea conditions, racing and cruising. Some lessons
learned.
>       * Sail her flat, no more than 18 degrees heel.  We  have inclinometers
> on the back head and the helm and trimmers work to keep her  in range.
>       * Check your sails.  If they're old, they're too  baggy, you're gonna
> heel.  We have low stretch racings sails.   Lowered our weight aloft a lot
> and they don't let the draft come aft  as the wind picks up.
>       * Useful tools: hydraulic backstay adjuster, bridge deck  mounted
> traveler with a windward adjustable car, cockpit adjustable genoa  cars,
> powerful cunningham.
>       * Tune your rig with the mast raked 10 to 12  inches.
>       * You sail a 30-2, with its broad beam carried so far  aft, differently
> than the older designs.  We actually steer Septima with the main because the
> main trimmer has the windward  car and is sitting on the side deck in front
> of the helm where they  can communicate easily.
>       * Our wheel in marked each side of TDC with a seam that  indicates 4
> degrees of rudder.  Helm puts the appropriate seam TDC,  trimmers trim the
> sails, and, as the boat gathers speed along the course line,  helm relays to
> main trimmer whether helm is light or heavy.  Main is  retrimmed using the
> traveler only.  Object: keep the foils moving thru  the water at 4 degree
> incidence angle and keep heel 15 to 18 degrees.
>       * As wind speed picks up. use sail controls to keep  things in balance.
>  More backstay pressure, halyard tension, aft movement  of genoa cars as
> needed for headsail; more cunningham, traveler to  leeward, twist off the
> leach for the main.
>All these actions keep the boat balanced, fast and
stable.  I have never had the rudder stall.  Its always at 4 degrees
incidence.  Can help to move crew weight aft as wind really picks up.
It's not rocket science.

>Allen Miles
>S/V Septima
>Hampton, VA
>
>Oh yes, I was a rocket scientist.

Weather helm yes, it could be a bear. Round ups never.  I could bury the
rail deep and just keep plowing along.
>My 30MKII's rudder will stall then round up out of control with to
much sail up and not enough tension on the backstay.  Too much heel and it
gets scary.
>All that being said im still learning on my MKII
>This List is provided
by the C&C Photo
Album