I was thinking about the recent discussions of new high tech halyards and have a question.  The PO replaced my halyards with all rope, but I don’t know what kind it is.  I have noticed significant changes in sail shape over a day of sailing which I am presuming is stretch.  Given the length of a rope halyard for a C&C, the stretch factor seems like a serious issue.  If you have 60’ of line after uphaul, then 2-4% stretch becomes a significant amount of change in mainsail shape.  Those are the kinds of stretch numbers I am seeing for lower tech line.  I don’t want to have to adjust the halyard during a race when shorthanded.  One solution seem to be to use a low stretch line (spectra core, etc.) and the other is wire/rope.  It looks like wire-rope is actually less expensive, so what is the down side?  Are they less durable?   If someone says weight, then I am going to ask for a calculation of the relative weight difference of wire vs rope given the huge mass of aluminum and dacron we all have sticking 40’ off the deck.  I am hard pressed to believe that small weight difference is significant for non-Americas cup sailors.  Dave

David Knecht
Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT