here goes:

>Our boats, in almost all cases, do not
have the “lead butting up against the fiberglass hull” as
such.  You boat must have some sort of keel sump (bilge) that extends down
below the “ Hull ”.
It’s where water collects and where the keel boats are visible.
That “sump” usually is about 12 “ deep on boats over 35 feet……….

>If your crack is truly right up under the
hull and not down the keel shape about 12-14” or so, then you may have a
very serious issue.  In the worst case, that “stub” could fall
off taking the keel with it.  That result could be tragic.

>If, however, the crack you are describing
is actually around the keel at a distance of 12-14” down the side of the
keel from the belly of the hull, then the “Smile” repair topics on the
C&C site are more than sufficient to fix it.

>I, like Dennis, have had that joint
sanded, covered with Glass and recoated with barrier coat and bottom paint and
that was in 1998.  There has been no subsequent issue.

>It sounds like a couple of sketches would
help this confusion, but I’m not competent enough with graphics to do
one, maybe someone on the list could help out here.