From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com]On Behalf Of Rich Knowles
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:38 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Battery charger recommendations?

And to increase the presumptuous factor:

The alternators that were supplied as original equipment with most small boat
engines until recently were from 35 - 55 A with internal, single voltage output
regulators. A good percentage of the engines were destined for use in small
motor vessels and these alternators were adequate for that application. For our
use, which sees greatly increased loads from, as Rick notes, radar and
refrigeration, and lengthy battery discharge periods between charges, those
alternators are bordering on inadequate, and certainly not as efficient and
appropriate as higher power units with multi stage regulators.

For sailing vessels, a central component of optimizing the electrical system
should be upgrading the generating capacity of the charging system. This will
involve replacing the alternator with the largest unit that can be fitted,
taking physical restrictions, drive belt capacity and depth of pocket book into
account. For most 20-35 HP engines, around 100A works well. There are a number
of external regulators available that should be considered for installation as
part of the new system. A new alternator with a multi-step regulator will
considerably reduce the engine run time needed to replenish the batteries.
Other devices such as wind generators and solar panels are important for long
range travels as well to further reduce the dependency on the engine.

For calculation purposes, I generally consider the usable capacity of batteries
to be 30% rather than 50% of rated capacity. This stems from the fact that a
50% discharged battery will charge to around 80% at a fairly linear rate which
will drop significantly as the state of charge nears 100%. Trying to achieve
the last 20% can take a long time compared to the first 30%. This will vary
depending on battery type and condition, so my 30% figure is somewhat
arbitrary, but fairly realistic.

A shore power fed battery charger from 20-40A will generally suffice to sustain
loads from refrigeration, lighting and entertainment devices operating while
the boat is alongside, and also provide enough power to replenish the
batteries. Again, a multi-step unit designed for marine use should be chosen.
There are lots of good marine chargers on the market.

I note that non-marine AC chargers may not completely isolate the input from
the output, a potentially dangerous situation on the water, and should be
avoided.

As Rick notes, designing an efficient, reliable electrical system is complex.

It's snowing again. Grrrr!

Rich Knowles
INDIGO - LF38
Halifax, NS