From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of William Hall
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:46 PM
To: cnc-list
Subject: Stus-List Vibration

Dear List,

I've been troubleshooting quite a vibration problem since I got my boat a year
and a half ago. I had hoped it all just needed an alignment, but that does not
appear to be the case. I'm hoping that if I present the situation someone on
the list may be able to point me in the direction of a fix!

The boat is Starfire, my 1985 C&C 37. It has a Yanmar 3HMF. I believe it's the
original engine, but was overhauled a few years ago. The previous owner said it
was overhauled because it was no longer producing enough power.

The engine drives a 2-blade max prop.  There's a line cutter on the shaft.
There's an R&D marine elastomeric coupling between the end of the prop shaft
and the engine drive shaft.

When I bought the boat, we noted a lot of vibration when in gear above about
1800 rpm. The surveyor thought it needed alignment and noted as well that the
max prop had more play in it than it was supposed to.  I hauled it that first
winter, had the max prop sent back to max prop for overhaul, had new cutlass
bearing installed, and when it all came back together in the spring found the
same vibration as before.  When running in forward, the prop shaft deflects
significantly at higher RPM's (maybe 1" of wobble at the worst point along the
drive shaft), and things shake in a way that can't be good.  In neutral, as
well as reverse, it runs smooth as silk right up into high rpms.

I've since had a few engine / drive people look at it and try to figure it out.
The shaft appears to be true. The alignment appears to be right on, as measured
by two different mechanics. The elastomeric coupling was a bit worn, so we put
a new one in. The engine mounts are substantial and seem good.  The engine
people think there's something wrong with the prop that the overhaul didn't fix.

What does the list say? Is it the prop? Could there be something wrong in the
transmission, say a thrust bearing or something?  In flat calm I can get almost
5 knots without too much worry of breaking things, but into a sea or wind I'd
really like to have the option to use more power.  What would you try?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Regards,
Bill

1985 C&C 37 - Starfire