Years ago I had an offshore sailing program called Adventure Sailing that
was dedicated to teaching people how to sail offshore successfully. (Will,
from US Watercraft, who chimes in here occasionally was helping me for many
of those trips.) One of the main objectives was stopping people from
calling the Coasties to pull them off their boats when the wind topped 35
knots and they got tired, scared, and seasick. One of the best way to do
that is to stop and wait for bad weather to go away...as it always does.
And one of the best ways to stop is to heave to.

You don't need to be in extreme conditions for this to work. And in the
delivery business, where the object is to get your clients' boats to their
destination with a minimum of wear and tear, heaving to is often the better
part of valour.

here's an article I wrote on the subject:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/how-to/seamanship/smart-times-for-heaving-to

And another by Andy Schell:
http://www.sailmagazine.com/boat-handling/cruising-tips-heaving

Lin Pardy has a good article in her book, Storm Tactics, about heaving to
using a storm trysail and a sea anchor. I am not a fan of trailing a sea
anchor off the bow on boats like ours due to the strain on the rudder as
the boat is hurled backwards by the seas.

It is certainly possible and practical to heave to in lighter airs. When
you're singlehanded or with a non sailor, it is a good way to stop and use
the head or make a cuppa, or well, I remember sailing in 10 knots of breeze
off Victoria with a lovely red-haired girl on my Dad's C&C 27...

Anyway, take a look at the articles and if you still have questions, let me
know.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine