Thanks Jake.  Yeah it is a bit off copper but I couldn't find suitable
plastic fittings that I felt would be versatile and robust enough.  I added
a thermal mixing valve and a 3-way for the end of season flush.  I also
added di-electric union nipples so that I can more easily check the anode.
I also had very constraining space and copper was the least bulky for all
the required tees and elbows.

I cut the sheet metal shell off and wire wheeled the rust off.  Primed
everything with rusty metal primer and then top coated.  So the inner tank
is protected on the outside and the outer shell is protected inside and
out.  The top had some holes which I was concerned would let water drip in
from the sink above so I epoxied the whole lid smooth and then painted.  I
replaced the fiberglass insulation and used stainless sheet metal screws to
put everything back together.

I used a garden hose to rinse the sediment out.  I couldn't believe how
much just kept coming.

I started because I just wanted to flush but couldn't get water in the hot
and out the cold/drain nipples.  I had also wanted to check the anode but
had to completely unscrew every plastic fitting (~12 elbows, tees, and
couplers).  To top it off the T&P valve had been leaking since I purchased
the boat.

Josh