From: f...@postaudio.net
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:46:34 -0500
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Autopilot under the deck for C&C 38 Landfall

David (Fred) — in my experience, many of the older (12+ years old) linear
drives perform quite well, and reliably.  Something happened maybe 10 years
ago, where there was a spate of linear drive failures on newer units; one that
I installed failed within months of its installation.  And I heard lots of
anecdotal evidence from others of the same thing happening to them.  So I got
pretty gun-shy of the mechanical drives.  Meanwhile, the Octopus drives (with
only three moving parts) have a stellar record of reliability, they don’t cost
much more than the mechanical drives, and they offer more power; and they’re
“plug and play” too, as they use the same wiring that the mechanical drives do.
 So I’ve been definitely leaning that way.
Your drive may last another fifteen years; but caveat emptor.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

On Mar 12, 2014, at 7:13 PM, David <davidrisc...@msn.com> wrote:Fred,

So the re-build from Raymarine (the original unit lasted 15+ years)  is $600
(plug and play) and the hydraulic unit is $1,700+++.  The linear drive was
great until it was not.  What am I missing?

My ROI mind tells me I may want to go with the rebuild?

Brain is Auto-Helm 7000, gyro-compass and helm indicator.

Thanks in advance Fred (which...by the way is my middle name).

David F. Risch
1981 40-2
(401) 419-4650 (cell)