Josh,

The instruments I’m using are Raytheon ST60 Tridata and Wind/CloseHauled. They
output the data on an old Seatalk(1) bus which is a Raytheon/Raymarine priority
protocol for combining the otherwise NMEA0183 data from the various
transducers. There is nothing in my manuals regarding the version of 0183
associated with these devices. I have done a little research, however, and
found that version 2.30 came out in 1998 and version 3.00 came out in 2000. See
http://www.nmea.org/content/nmea_standards/nmea_0183_v_410.asp. There is a
decent discussion of the relationship between Seatalk and NMEA0183 in the
following article by a German engineer who has attempted to reverse engineer
the Seatalk protocol (http://www.thomasknauf.de/rap/seatalk3.htm#Sig). From
those bits of info and the fact that my manuals are dated August and September
1999, I would guess that if the corresponding NMEA sentences were demultiplexed
from the Seatalk bus, they would conform to the 2.30 standard, if you can call
it a standard! There is another rather extensive document on NMEA0183
sentences, structure, etc in http://gpsd.berlios.de/NMEA.txt. The way I am
using the old instruments to get the data onto the NMEA2000 bus really doesn’t
involve NMEA0183 directly (in fact there no way to get NMEA data from the
instrument heads). What I did was to connect the depth, speed/temp transducer
signals to the tridata head, the wind transducer signal to the wind head, daisy
chain the two heads together via Seatalk, and connect one of them to the
Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter. This effectively converts the sentences to
2000 format except for the connector. The Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter is
then connected to the 2000 backbone via an adapter cable which Raymarine sells.
When I started this project, I was a little concerned about being able to
bridge the old instrument data to the new bus, since the Raymarine literature
stated that ST60+ or ST70 instruments were required, but I tried it with the
old stuff and it worked.
Realize this is a somewhat roundabout answer to your question, but the whole
issue is rather convoluted.

Monty
Scandia
1991 C&C 34+