Fred,

Thanks for the clarification. I realize that the two are completely different
and that my choice of words relating the two was misleading. The link I
incorrectly referenced was the third part of a more general discussion of
SeaTalk and some of the relations between it’s datagrams and NMEA sentences. I
should have referenced: http://www.thomasknauf.de/seatalk.htm, other parts of
which contain descriptions of how SeaTalk works and the structure of the
SeaTalk datagrams. I was trying to answer Josh’s question regarding the version
of NMEA0183 relative to the ST60 instruments, and, as you have pointed out,
there doesn’t appear to be an answer.
I did use the device:  http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=1597 along with the
adapter cable A06046 (male) to tap into the NMEA 2k bus. Prior to installing
the NMEA 2k equipment, I had used a Ship Modul multiplexer to convert SeaTalk
data to NMEA0183 sentences, but this seemed like the cleaner approach since I
already had the ST-STNG converter in hand.

Monty
Scandia
1991 C&C 34+
Annapolis, MD