Edd,

Look at the receptacle.  It should have two pairs of hot/common connections
and one ground.  One pair will be labeled "Line" and one pair "Load".  The
"Load" connections are protected.

The correct wiring should be from your supply (breaker) to the pair marked
"Line".  Downstream receptacles should be wired from the "Load" pair.

Also, make sure you get the black (hot) and white (common or neutral) wires
on the correct connectors for all connections.

Dennis C.