Hey Edd,

I wouldn't put one GFCI inline from the shore power.  It would need to be
large and expensive (2 pole, 30 amp) as you will end up
running everything through it including the heating element in the hot
water heater and your battery charger.  Also, many modern battery chargers
may cause it to nuisance trip frequently.

The GFCI in an outlet is cheap, effective and obvious if it trips as they
will usually have a small LED indicator on the face and only the circuit
that is tripped (and the outlets downstream) will go dead, not the whole
boat.  I think your boat has two breakers in the AC panel for the AC
outlets so you will only need two (or possibly three, depending on how the
wire is run) GFCI's to do the whole boat.

I think the level of safety these GFCI provide for very little money is
worth it.  I'm not sure how the ABYC requirement for all new boats is
written so I don't know if dong it this way will cover it.

Ken H.

As Dennis C. said:

"Look at the GFCI receptacle you are installing.  It should have two pairs
of hot/common connections and one ground.  One pair will be labeled "Line"
and one pair "Load".  The "Load" connections are protected.

The correct wiring should be from your supply (breaker) to the pair marked
"Line".  Downstream receptacles should be wired from the "Load" pair.

Also, make sure you get the black (hot) and white (common or neutral) wires
on the correct connectors for all connections.

Dennis C."