Hello all,
Just returned from the trip to look at a C&C 35-2.  I only saw two things that
concerned me (I'm no expert of course and I'd have a thorough survey),  and I'm
writing too ask people's opinions on these two issues.
First, at the keel to hull joint, directly under the mast, there was water
weeping through the joint onto both sides of the keel.  Also, if not mistaken,
I believe that the forward keel bolt, which is under the mast and can't be seen
unless the mast is removed, is in this location on a vertical plane.  Is this
weeping at the hull/keel joint a serious concern? (i.e. is it enough not to
waste money on a survey?) Is it likely that there is water running from the
bilge or through the mast, past the keel bolt under the mast (hence a
potentially comprised/rusty keel bolt under the mast?) and coming out through
the joint?  1) the owner has had the boat shrink wrapped and on the hard for
the last three years, and told me that winds this winter have blown the shrink
wrap off the boat, and this spring is the first time the weeping has occurred.
2)  The entire hull keel joint looked to me to be very good or excellent, no
smile visible, and the bottom looked
 pretty smooth with a near perfect coat of fresh bottom paint.
Second,  the washer on the center (lowest in the bilge?) keel bolt was
extremely rusty. The other visible keel bolts and washers looked very good. I
don't remember if the center keel bolt itself was rusty. Also,  the gelcoat
surface of the bottom of the keel was spider cracked pretty thoroughly, I
thought at the time that this was superficial and cosmetic. Are the rusty keel
bolt washer and the spider cracked surface of the bilge potential areas of
concern?
Thank you in advance for any guidance here.