Derek,

Cracks on the hull/keel joint are a frequent topic on the list.  There are
lots of ways to deal with it.  One thing we all agree on is the need to
properly torque the keel bolts.  The specs can be found in the "Technical
Info" section of the C&C photo album.

The next thing you need to ask is "why?"  Too much backstay?  A grounding?
Some other cause?  On some models, there is a good bit of distance between
the aft part of the keel and the aftmost keel bolt.  It may be that there
isn't enough support there and that area is just prone to cracking.

Touche' had minor cracks in the fairing at the aft end of the hull/keel
joint for the first 2-3 haul outs after I bought it.  There is a distance
between the aftmost bolt and the area that kept cracking.  I finally
covered the joint all the way around with a few layers of biaxial glass
tape.  Cracks haven't reappeared.  Other listers have done the same.

Once you've torqued the bolts, you can do as your post says or glass it
with tape.

I dug out the forward part of the joint when I first bought Touche'.
Packed the dug out area with epoxy saturated chopped carbon fiber.  Couple
of haul outs later it got the biaxial tape treatment.  Haven't seen any
cracking in 10 years.  The bolts get re-torqued every 5 years or so.  See
the forward repair here:

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/smile/

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83