I like the resourceful “Brass-Hoyt” method on this repair.  It sounds like the
template and gasket approach will be the best for my situation.  I’ll be sure
to keep you both posted.  Thanks again for the advice.

Rick Jorgensen

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Rick Brass
via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:06 AM
To: Hoyt, Mike; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Advice on Window replacement on C&C 30 Mk1

Mike and Richard

Mike makes a good point that I neglected to mention. Based on my experience
with the aluminum framed port lights, there is little likelihood of the leak
being between the frame and the cabin side. So don't disturb the window frame
unless you absolutely need to.

I've had my 1975 25mk1 for 20 years this month, and my 1976 38mk1 for 11 years
last month. Never had a leak around the frame - C&C built the boats well and
the butyl sealant is still doing its job.

The lexan/plexiglas lenses get crazed after 10-15 years in the sun. I initially
tried to polish the lenses on the 25 in about 1999, discovered it to be a time
consuming PITA, and ended up replacing them. Took an old lens to a glass shop
that happens to repair storm doors and they used the old lens as a pattern for
new ones. And since a glass shop guess a lot of polycarbonate for door repairs,
new panes are pretty cheap.

As someone already pointed out, you can get kits for reselling the port lights
from Southshore or Holland Marine. Convenient but pricy. The EPDM seals from
Lowes last longer than the foam seals used originally, and I've found I can get
materials to do all 4 of the port lights on my 28 for the price of 1 kit from
Southshore. Buy, hey, I'm cheap.

Anyway, reselling the aluminum frame port lights is cheap and easy maintenance.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 3, 2014, at 8:35, "Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com