Hi Bill this is likely the route I will go. One of my crew is a fine woodwork
carpenter. I've approached him already.
I cant do anything with the old one. It was rough 6 years ago when I bought the
boat, so much so th PO Had an aluminum reinforcement made for it, kind of a
frame that takes the majority of the load from the weakest area of the tiller.
Even though the ends have rotted, this bracket has allowed me to run it further
than. I'm comfortable with.

Brent Driedger
27-5
Lake Winnipeg.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 5:09 AM, Bill Bina via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> When mine got damaged by being twisted with great force, I did quite a bit of
> asking around at places that advertise that they can make replacements for
> any tiller. None would do it. So I did it myself. Bought some teak and sliced
> it into 3/8" thick strips. Built a jig to form the shape and laminated the 4
> strips clamped in the jig using West System 205 resin, a little 405 filler
> powder, and the SLOW 206 hardener. For gluing wood, you want the epoxy to
> cure slowly so it has a chance to really seep into the wood grain. Lots of
> clamps! The spacer at the back end is just some strips glued up into a block.
> The only design change I made was to extend the grip end by 4 inches. The
> reason for that was because the hiking stick on the original was mounted
> about an inch from the end, and I could not fit my hand in front of it. I
> also filled in the narrowest part of the split with thickened epoxy as I
> always found that narrow pointy gap a problem when refinishing. I think I
> have some pictures
  of the process. I'll look tonight and see if I can find them. I did consider
making it from aluminum, but that tiller is one of the few pieces of teak on
the boat, and it matters to the overall look of the boat.