In 1969 we paid $30,000 for our house.
In 1977 we paid $35,000 for Coquina. I was 13 years old then.
My wife thinks this explains why I am crazy and if my total net worth was $50 I
would spend $40 on West System and $10 on food. Growing up I thought it was
totally normal to have a boat that cost more than your house and to get taken
out of school to wet sand the bottom the day before launching.

Anyway a large sailboat now is an insanely bad investment.  You either cannot
imagine not being out sailing or you find something else to do.  IMHO no amount
of cash could ever replace this:
http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/images/noah093x.JPG

Joe Della Barba
Coquina