What about solar?  A lot of problems and liabilities come from being
attached to shore.  You're just keeping the batteries topped up for the
next adventure right?

Every smart charger i have ever seen, (auto, marine, clamp on, or
permanent) works as follows:

First: It performs idiot checks to make sure the battery is not bad or
terminals reversed.
Stage 1: (Bulk charge, ~80% of full capacity) Start at max rated current
and slowly ramp up voltage until max rated voltage is reached
Stage 2: (acceptance charge, remaining ~20% of full charge) Once the max
rated charge voltage of your type of battery is reached (14.7v for a
standard wet lead-acid battery) then the current is slowly ramped down
while simultaneously keeping the voltage at 14.7v .
Stage 3: When the charge current has reduced to the float curent 1-2 amps
for a predetermined amount of time (1-5 minutes) the charger switches to a
float mode where the voltage is reduced to the appropriate float voltage
(~13.2v for a standard lead-acid) and the minimum current is applied
(~1-2amp).  During this stage different chargers may periodically shift on
or off or test the acceptance by switching to the 14.7v and "checking" how
long it takes to return to the minimum current.

The better chargers tend to have battery type seletors and may have a
little different time delays or charge programs for each battery type.
Many permanent installs have more than one set of charge terminals for more
than one bank (the current is still limited to the max rating of the
charger).  With more features the price goes up.

I presume that you are considering chargers for equalizing and
"preventative maintenance".  Any 3 stage "smart" auto charger could be used
as a equalizing charger.  I have a 40amp Stanley that is similar to Vector
and Schumacher.  $100 bucks at Lowes AND it has an alternator checker and
"start" booster too.

I wouldn't necessarily leave it unattended but while you're tinkering about
at the dock 3 or 4 (or more) times a season would be fine.  They make 10
and 20 amp versions also.  They are just temporary and clamp on.  Mine did
great as a backup when my brand new 40amp xantrex ($400) died on the
delivery trip.

Best part is when you are done you can get the weight and clutter off the
boat and use it at home.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+