We just completed our 2nd annual Grand Sailing Adventure - 2 weeks cruising.
We went over 500 miles (Racine WI to Charlevoix MI) and back and motored most
of it. Near the end I noticed transmission fluid leaking - or spraying -
underneath the trans.  LF38 with a Westerbeke 27 and a V-Drive transmission.
I've never had any issues with oil or trans leaking.  I checked the fluid
levels...no detectable decrease on the dipstick, but, there is only about a
quarter inch area at the bottom of the stick to show the fluid levels.  When I
wiped the bottom of the trans off with a paper towel I could not detect where
the fluid was coming from.  It doesn't appear to be a drip, but, more like a
spray just underneath the trans.
I might suspect some sort of seal between the trans and shaft, but, am pretty
clueless about how it is all put together.
Has anybody else encountered a similar problem?   I am asking for a probable
diagnosis and how much trouble I am in for.  I have about 6 weeks left in the
season with a few weekend sails and then, probably, motoring for 5 hours or so
to the winter haulout.
Am I safe to keep using it?  It us usually pretty normal for a pretty loud
clunk when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse....but it hasn't slipped
or failed.  yet...

Spencer Johnson
1984 LF38 "Alegria"
Racine, WI