You will probably need new shaft seals.  It will cost $1200 to $2000 to have it
done, depending on what else they find when the tear it apart.  As long as you
keep up the fluid level you can continue to use it for the remainder of the
season.  I used my boat for several weeks this way, but I went thru a lot of
transmission fluid.  By the way, I tried several "stop leak" products and none
of them worked.  You can look on my blog for a description of what I went thru
with mine.  During the process I leaned that v-drive transmissions usually
require a rebuild every 1500 engine hours.

Bob

Bob Boyer
S/V Rainy Days / Annapolis MD
1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230
email: dainyr...@icloud.com
blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com

"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply
messing about in boats."  --Kenneth Grahame