You didn't say what kind of transmission.  That's important.

I originally had a Hurth, and it always made a big klunk sound when changing gears. I bought a new one when I repowered, and the brand new one makes a big klunk sound when changing gears. The manual says that one should not be hesitant when changing gears. Just throw it into place.

Regarding the 'klunk' I think that's just what they do. The old one was 24 years old, and the new one has about 1200 hours on it, and I have no problems with a big klunk. I've come to love it.

The Hurth uses ATF. Red Oil means ATF is leaking. But where is it leaking? That's the puzzle.

I'll tell you a secret. With my new (2000ish) Hurth tranny, I had a huge problem with ATF fluid leaking. I was really puzzled. I ran it in gear at the dock with lines tied up all over the place trying to figure out where the leak was coming from. I spent hours watching and trying to understand. Eventually I realized that it was coming from the little vent hole at the top of the filler plug. Then I spent a few weeks thinking. Hurth was bought by ZF a while ago. The original hollow dipstick had a little tiny hole drilled just below the top, and the new dipstick didn't have that hole. Thus, the only place for ATF fluid to leak was out the vent. I guess they tried to 'cost-reduce' it. I took a drill and put a new hole back where the old one was, and haven't had a leak or a problem since, because the fluid that gets pushed up into the filler tube now can leak back down over the gears. Note that after drilling the hole I went berserk flushing out the filler tube and changed fluid three times within 20 hours of run time, because I didn't want metal fragments in my tranny.

Gotta go.  I'm hungry.

Wal

you wrote:
It us usually pretty normal for a pretty loud clunk when shifting from neutral
to forward or reverse....but it hasn't slipped or failed.  yet...

--
s/v Stella Blue
www.wbryant.com