All,

        I have a “car” stereo on board the Enterprise, which worked fine with
speakers inside and out, but now I’m removing it — so before you go running
wires and drilling big holes, I suggest you consider this: A portable bluetooth
speaker.

        We all have our iPhones, iPads Galaxy’s and Droids all loaded with
Internet radio and your own playlists of practically every song you’ve ever
heard in your entire life. Most can be charged via USB and you can put them
wherever you want them and some have controls to pause, skip or replay songs
right on the speaker, so you can leave your phone or tablet down below where it
won’t get wet or fall overboard. I have one that even lets me interact with
Siri, so I can, while my phone sits in the chart table below, push a button and
say “Play songs by Train” and after a second, Siri responds with “Here’s your
Train”, followed by Hey Soul Sister, Drive-By, Angel in Blue Jeans, etc. Sweet.

        I’ve seen some which are completely waterproof and even let you receive
calls.

        The sound quality is great, there’s no drain on your boat’s batteries,
and there’s no annoying DJs or commercials (I used to be a DJ). Plus there’s no
big magnets interfering with compasses and no cursing that there’s music in the
cockpit while you’re lounging on the foredeck.

        Have a bunch of CDs? Rip them into digital files and store them on your
computer/device. The first CDs made are starting to fail now. Get your music
off of them and get rid of them. One rainy day and you can do a ton. I have so
much music digitized that I could play my iPhone for three days straight and
never hear the same song twice. Most radio stations can’t go four hours without
playing the same song twice.

        Better listening experience, no wires, no holes, no battery drain, and
no magnetic interference.

        All the best,

        Edd

        Edd M. Schillay