You may also want to take a look at the fleets in your area and see who you
will be racing against.
If the LF38 you are interested in PHRFs in around 165 for white sail that could
put you into a
varied fleet, possibly a lot of lighter 30 - 32' that will leave you in the
dust around the cans.

You didn't mention if you intend to fly spinnaker. For many of the larger boats
they will be in the
spinnaker fleet for the long distance races, and bowsprits with asymmetrical is
common.

When the boats in the fleet are similar in displacement, sail area to
displacement and basic
design then sailing to your PHRF number is a big question. Unfortunately now it
is a bigger
question if you are heading out on a 14,000 lb boat with a big symmetrical and
racing a
J/80 or such what is the wind speed.

Michael Brown
Windburn