A lot of people don't like the rod, but there are few nice things about it.
For instance, it does not let water in like the wire braid does at the
swage.  So there is no oxygen depleted water inside the fitting.  Unlike the
swage, where you never know the conditions of stainless inside, rod is
easily inspected by disassembling the stem balls from the turnbuckles or
tangs, provided they are not galled.   If you read up about it a bit, you
can magnaflux them for cracks and determine what needs replacement.  Tricky
part with rod is cold-forming the stem balls without cracks.  As Dennis
said, re-heading.  Not many riggers can do it.  And if it forms with cracks
after a few tries, you pretty much have to throw away the length of the stay
and start over.   I've seen few rod-rig boats with spreaders that are
asymmetrical or not bisecting the shrouds.  I suspect for this very reason.

If you decide to go with this boat,  and if you need someone, I'll send you
the contact of original C&C rigger, he is in Fall River.  I had him come by
after I got nowhere with Hall Spars(besides giving them a lot of money).  My
rig was in the cradle one summer and we went over a lot of the points.  I
ended doing a lot of the work myself and he came by after to inspect it.
He also provided all the parts I needed so I didn't have to spend too much
time researching components.  This was back in '06 and I am getting ready to
take the mast down this fall again after close to 10k miles and 8 years.

Either you spent a lot of money for someone else to deal with issues on your
boat, or you spend your own time to learn and know how to inspect, replace
and maintain your own systems.  Rig is no exception.  It requires attention
to detail and mistakes can be devastating.  But so can be mistakes with many
other boat systems.

Petar Horvatic

Sundowner

76 C&C 38MkII