In 2011 I had a toggle break on the starboard jump stay on my 1976 C&C 38.
It caused me to question the integrity of the rod rigging.

It was, after all, 36 years old at the time and there was no previous
indication of any trouble brewing. But my future plans include offshore
cruising and at least one more trip to Bermuda. So I decided to do the
conservative thing and have the rig looked at.

To my great surprise, my rigger and Navtec both recommended having the
rigging removed and shipped back to Navtec for non-destructive testing and
to be x-rayed. The tech at Navtec was pretty negative about the reliability
of testing the rod with dye. Based on the results Navtec would either rehead
the rod or replace it - at extra charge of course. The work, shipping, and
testing was going to cost almost $4000.

In a search for alternatives, my rigger suggested replacing the rod with
Dyform wire. I had to put on a wire head stay anyway since I would be
installing roller furling when the mast was down(putting a roller furler on
rod seems to be a not recommended procedure). So I looked hard at the
alternative of Dyform wire all around. Turns out the wire is just a scosh
larger in diameter (.020-.030 IIRC) than the rod, but actually has about
1000 pounds higher break strength. The ends on the top of the shrouds and
jump stays fit into the existing ball sockets for the rod rigging, and the
bottom of the shrouds have Norseman fittings to facilitate fitting and
replacement of the shrouds if it is ever needed. The best part, though, was
that the whole job was $200 to $300 LESS than the cost for just testing and
evaluating the rod.

I would not be too concerned about the rod rigging, but would talk to a
competent rigger about having it inspected. And if replacement is needed,
you too might want to think about using Dyform wire as an alternative to
rod.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1