One of his best books was "And No Birds Sang", the story of his experience
fighting with the Hasty Ps of the Canadian Army in Italy in WWII. He landed
in Sicily and fought all the way up to Ortona, where he finally succumbed
to battle fatigue. It took him a long time to decide to write that book. It
was published in 1979. His father's boat, and the boat that he grew up with
in Hastings and Patricia Counties in the Bay of Quinte is part of the
collection of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston, and has
been recently restored.