Practical Sailor recently posted a suggestion for winterizing the Dripless PYI
shaft seal.  PS said to unclamp the SS rotor from the prop shaft so the bellows
could expand to its uncompressed state.  I have never done this, and with the
recent discussion about the set screws holding the rotor in place on the prop
shaft, I wonder if it is worth it.  Would be interested in what other PYI users
do.  I did replace the entire unit last winter; at full engine RPM I had
noticed water spraying out between the rotor and the carbon flange, perhaps
because the thrust of the prop pushed the shaft forward until the rotor did not
make good contact with the flange.  When I unclamped the rotor and slid it
forward to inspect, the bellows was very stiff and there were some small pits
in the carbon and the rotor surfaces. PYI recommended replacing the entire
unit, which I did, and it has worked fine this summer.  But it had worked
flawlessly for the 8 years I owned the boat, and looked like it had been
  installed well before that, without doing anything to winterize it - just
checking to make sure it was not leaking at the beginning of each season.  So
what's the feeling about following PS's suggestion?

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA