I second following PYI’s recommendations for maintenance and winterizing.

I replaced Calypso’s bellows and carbon rotor after 8 years.  The SS rotor was
fine with a little cleaning.  I had the PYI instruction sheet in hand as I set
the bellows compression and tightened the SS rotor in place.

For the past 29 years of owning boats with PYI Shaft Seals installed I have not
de-commissioned the shaft seal over winter.  We often use the boat all year,
but only once or twice a month between December and March. (This year we will
run the engine in place as the deck restoration work shelter is still in place.)

After a long lay up, I would certainly inspect the bellows and rotors, burp the
bellows and rotate by hand the seal interface (to be sure the rotors have not
been bonded together), and check the tightness of the hose clamps.  I do rinse
the bellows and rotor with fresh water from time to time to prevent salt build
up.

The one major failure of a bellows that I have read about was caused by lack of
maintenance and use.  IIRC the boat had sat idle for year(s?) and the rotors
bonded together.  When the engine was put in gear the shaft rotation was fully
transmitted to the bellows resulting in a tear.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle