I advocate making your own climbing system but for the record, the ATN
system uses Gibbs ascenders.  They are full capture ascenders that cannot
come off and have a good record in the climbing and fire & rescue
communities.

Some ascenders are designed to attach at a mid point of the rope these can
come off if care is not taken.  If one of these is being considered then
one should ensure that it is also the type refered to as "prusik minding".
It will have a fair lead around the rope to push a prusik up the rope in
front of the ascender.  It will also have a means of attaching the prusik
to the ascender.  It could be a hole or just simply a closed handle, a
handle carabiner combo, or a clip.

Josh